PDA

View Full Version : Coronados and Rock Pile

Al Gagnon
03-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Going on Friday to rock pile and Nados. Read some weather reports, looking at a little wind picking up. Anybody else going out. The San Diego is doing steady on the yellows.

Knot Now
03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Al,
My buddy Allen was trying to talk me into going...but I can not get the time off. Do you need any crew?
Phil

619-922-0739 Allen's Cell

Al Gagnon
03-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks Phil, I am taking a full group of 7. Family. Worked all week on my electrical problems and took out yesterday to test run it and my right tach starts to drop off when I get above 1000 rpms. I may have loosended a wir when looking for a short. boats, boats, boats, always something to go wrong at the last minute. Im going anyhow. I have my port engine to get me home if need be or vessel assist. Have a good one Phil. PS I still need to post my mmsi number. Al

Knot Now
03-26-2010, 08:48 PM
It looks like we are going to the RP Sat. morning.....Leaving a little late, hope to see someone I know....LOL

Al Gagnon
03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank God I have diesel engines. Came back on Friday on a wing and prayer. Problem came back on Stbd engine and port acting up also. Too many items went wrong again on Sat.
Some of the things that went wrong were
1. House batteries went down to 8 volts and shut down my radios and gps.
2. One of my engines overheated. Let it cool and limped in at 8 knots. Could not get boat on trailer straight so put the trailer back in the water and port engine would not re-start. So we rocked the boat and it slipped into its slot.One of the chines was on the bunk.
3. All of gauges on Stbd engine went crazy all day.
4. Stbds tasch was dropping off to 0 and bouncing back up most of
Friday.
5. Im too tiered to remember the other stuff.

I need a electrician that can help me re-wire the boat. After I tried to trace my short last week, I must have pulled and pushed on ever wire in the boat. I guess when I did that it created a bunch of corrosion build up on the wires. Now my PC is acting up. Let me know if there is a good wiring boat person. John said he wired the boat but he does not have enough time to work on it.
We did good on Friday at the Islands for bottom fish. Talk to you guys later. I enterd the mmsi numbers in my boat for Phil, Mike and Tony. I need to get my numbers on here.
Later

REEL NASTY
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

I had almost the identical problems with the electrical about 3 month ago.
Tach bouncing around house bank not charging and at one point lost all gages and ignition. The problem was the ground wire at the alternater. The visual on the wire looked good and gave it a pull seemed to bee ok but it was corroded at the wire terminal. I took it off to clean it and the terminal just broke right off. give it a look hopefully it's that simple.

Al Gagnon
03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks Eric, I will check it out if I can reach that far around the heat exchanger. The alternator is putting out 14 volts. There is a 50 amp relay for the tamd that is on top of the engine that was suspetious. It took care of the problem for about 2 hours and then started again. Most people I talked with always say the ground is usualy the problem, but I found out a lot more about my twin engines. I was removing the old wires for the fuel tanks that were on the boat when it was built. I have a new fuel tank and do not need the gauges plus some hot wires were loos and bouncing around next to my electrical breaker panel. I accidently cut two wires off. The rudder indicator power lead and also the relay wire that allows my port engine to charge my house batteries. Now that I have repaired my screw up I can proceed to working on the realy that is in the box on the enignes. I might rig up a different relay since I azm sure Volvo wants at least over $100 for the custom built 50 amp relay. The relay is usede to power up 12 volts to all of my dash gauges and indicator lights. Wish me luck or may God have some mercy on my work. I may need to start another post about the electrical so I can get some hints about this problem.
Al