PDA

View Full Version : Quick report for La Jolla Frid 8-5-11

Al Gagnon
08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Water temp 62.5, great blue color water, calm, with about 10 knots of wind at the most and a few rollers once in awhile. Blue skies. Perfect fishing weather. Started with drifting in the kelp about 9 am. I was the first to get hit big time on 25 lb. test at 5 minutes into the drift. Caught off gaurd and was not expecting anything more then about 2 lb. fish. Only fishing about 10 ft deep with a large sardine and 2/0 hook. Lots of the sardines were bloodied up but had enough life to pull hard. Golt hit and the big zzzzzzzz. I Could not stop this fish. I thought I had it in free spool for a second and tried to slow it down with my thumb. Not a good move. Well peeled out about 30 ft of line and figured I could not stop it so handed it off to my son so I could blame him for losing the fish. By then the fish was at the bottom of the kelp and running in and out of the kelp like he was looking for another sardine for breakfast. I am thinking it was a big yellow or a WSB. Felt just like a big yellow when they hit and go straight for kelp paddies. On a mission. The line snapped after I gave it to my son so I can say I did not lose a fish. End of story. Due to the slow fishing for tuna and harrasment at the Islands from the Mexican Navy, and since both my turbos do not respond to turning them with a drill and starting to slow down, I will be taking out the 18 ft. Parker for some time. Anyone have trouble with their turbos binding up after you start the engines? I hope it doesnt end up both turbos going bad at the same time. I think it is from lack of use. Have not had the boat in the water for about 8 months. Only ran them in the driveway at idle. So the turbos may not have been spining for awhile. End of my most recent adventures with boats and fishing.

Endless Summer
08-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the report always fun to pull on something, Even if your son loss the fish. Remember someday he will be bigger and stronger. LOL

Al Gagnon
08-06-2011, 12:36 PM
He is bigger, not sure about stronger, 30 years old next year and doing JuiJitsu training. Lost all his baby fat. I could handle him for about 15 seconds, then I would be all out of gas.