PDA

View Full Version : Confused about turbo's clearance

Al Gagnon
08-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Took my turbo to Action Turbo and they said it was worn out and had 1/4 inch gap and its suppose to have ten thousandth. Why would they sand blast a turbo out to 1/4 inch if anything more then a few thousandths is too much clearance. They were working but I guess not very well. Someone is offering me a used turbo but not sure of its history. A little nervous on taking it too action. So far Ive heard good reports. Maybe I should break out another thousand (boat) and buy a new one. Any ideas out there? I do not want to complain about service as I once had my own. Just wondering what they used to blast the housing. Is the housing cast iron?

yellowfin1
08-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Great questions! I can't say that I know much about this. When they say they are going to sand blast the housing, is it because they need to epoxy or use some other form of filling-in the parts of the housing that were worn away? That would make sense to me. They would want to sandblast it first. Or maybe they sand blast it then install larger/longer fins to make up the difference and reduce the gap?

NoSlack
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
The sand balasting is done to clean the rust off the cast iron housing. Cast iron is tough stuff but heat, a salt enviroment and time all take a toll on it.

If you're looking for a second shop to try, I took mine to PCE's diesel shop. California Diesel & Motor Division
3376 Main Street
San Diego, CA 92113
Phone: (619) 235-0961

Getting a turbo fixed is $1200 no matter who does it.

Mike

Al Gagnon
08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
What does a new one cost? I heard $1600 t0 $1800. Is that from Volvo or ?

Mac Attack
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
What does a new one cost? I heard $1600 t0 $1800. Is that from Volvo or ?

Replaced the turbo on the "Patron" before I sold it to Jeff. $1500.00 from McDonnel Marine in CT. Returned the core for $600.00. Cheapest around. Talk to Paul.

Royal Hook
08-25-2011, 08:03 AM
I have the 41B engine and my turbo has two seperate sides. The exhaust. side which spins the shaft to operate the compressor side of the turbo. If this side gets worn out than the exhaust gas will circulate over the turbine blades and will not spin the shaft fast enough for the compressor side to operate properly. Like Mike said, the cast iron side gets all the abuse. If the actual compressor side gets worn bushings or ? and gets out of tolerance than it needs to be rebuilt. Ck to see maybe your compressor is OK you just need to get the exhaust turbine housing replaced. http://www.bocapix.com/data/500/img082.jpg

Royal Hook
08-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Just talked with JD at Marine Parts Express back in Maine
(18776212628) and you can no longer buy the turbine housing for Volvo turbos. They have rebuilt ones for around $1650 w/ core & $25 shipping and new reconfiguried turbos (more low end boost) for $2700.
Ck. their website it's my go to info spot.

Al Gagnon
08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Crapola. Every time someone posts about turbos they get more expensive and now they dont make the housing. Action Turbo has a backorder of 10. I am starting to get very bitter about volvo products. I am now screwed and not sure which way to go, and I have twin engines. Anyone interested in buying a boat?

Royal Hook
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Sorry Al
Hey, It's not volvo it's usually the operator.These componets just can not be forgotten about, and their some of the best marine parts I,ve ever delt with. Call around to diesel repair shops there has to be these parts just layin around somewhere that are in good working condition.. I'll check around too!!!!
Keep the faith

Al Gagnon
08-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Well after thinking on what to do with my boat. I will, Lord willing, put together the port engine and get the turbo to go. Then pull the Starb. prop and secure the shaft so it doesnt damage the transmission. Take the boat out with one engine. When I do this I will have to put on a extension for the trailer so the trailer goes further into the water. One engine can not get the boat onto the trailer and keep my tires out of the water. I need to get this boat back in operation. Still have some problems with the bait pump but that is minor.

Patron
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
http://powerproductsystems.com
You might want to check with these guys. I just found a raw water pump thru them and they where cheaper than anyone else. They have the same exchange deal as Mike got for my boat.

Royal Hook
08-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Great web site Jeff. Also a bit cheaper on turbo prices I checked on and much cheaper on shipping. I'll use PPS in the future.