PDA

View Full Version : Another Turbo Issue

Endless Summer
12-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey Guys,

I have been gone for awhile but back in the game. I ran the boat this weekend everything ran fine except for smoke at idle. Which I have had this issue for awhile but it always bothers me.

While at the family party I asked my girlfriends brother who knows a bit about diesels what he thought it could be. He said the turbo is leaking oil into the air manifold. Once back home I decided to have a look sure enough oil in the manifold. I removed the entire turbo found the shaft for the fan has play in it and oil in the air side.

I completely disassembled the turbo and know its time for parts. This is where I was hoping someone has a connection, online I see the individual parts are not available. I would think all I need is the seals and gaskets? I think the complete rebuild kit is a 875632?

AQAD40A

Ideas?

Marc

NoSlack
12-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Start with this link, page 36 & 37 is where you'll find the info on the K26 size center section.
http://www.turbointernational.com/images/catalog-pdf/Catalog-KKK.pdf

I've seen kkk 26 rebuild kits on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBO-K26-K27-TURBOCHARGER-REBUILD-KIT-USA-MADE-/310367328849?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4843559a51

On page 36, the part next to #3 is a heat shield. Mine had a hole in it and hot exhaust got on the seals and bearing and took my turbo out. That part is no longer available so I bought a rusted out turbo for $50 and scored the part out of it.

Have fun getting those inside snap rings back in. It's not impossible but it will test your patience.

Mike

Endless Summer
12-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks once again.

The impeller on the exhaust side is a little chewed up on one end, do you think that will be a problem? The manual does not list the part number.

Marc

NoSlack
12-26-2011, 03:38 PM
If the impeller is dinged up and out of balance, it's going to take a toll on the new bearings over time. By replacing the internal parts you still haven't addressed any clearance/power issues. I know you can put it back together for $100 but it might be time to drop another $1000 in it and get a full re-build.

Mike

fireescape
12-26-2011, 05:24 PM
x2 what Mike said